Mobile Beacon's 4G LTE Mobile Hotspot Donation Program
Get Free 4G LTE mobile hotspot modems with discount unlimited service for $10/month!
The Mobile Beacon donation program at Digital Wish provides free 4G LTE mobile broadband hotspot modems to eligible public and non-profit private schools throughout the United States.
Set up a hotspot in your gym, cafeteria or anywhere there's a wireless dead zone in your school. You can use these 4G LTE mobile hotspots to connect compatible computers or Wi-Fi-enabled smartphones and tablets to the Internet from any location within the 4G coverage area. The 4G LTE hotspot modems must be used with a subscription to Mobile Beacon's 4G LTE discount mobile broadband service for schools.
This donation provides up to five 4G LTE mobile hotspot modems ($350 value) for connecting to Mobile Beacon's 4G LTE mobile broadband Internet service. Mobile Beacon Internet service is not included with this donation, but it is available for purchase at the current school pricing of $120 for 12 months ($10 per month, paid annually in advance). Each hotspot you obtain requires a service agreement. You will be provided with a discount subsciption code and instructions for Mobile Beacon service setup when you order this donation.
Up to 11 hotspots available per school - Members can also choose to order 1 single hotspot or a block of 10 for greater savings. Click here to order. If your school exceeds the 11 device limit, please contact us at email@example.com to apply for a quantity extension.
Expanded coverge and faster speeds - Now Mobile Beacon's new COVERAGE AREAS have expanded across the USA by using the Sprint network and with LTE, your internet speeds are faster with greater in-building coverage.
Access More. Teach More. Learn More.
Mobile broadband is revolutionizing education. It provides critical access to the Internet, resources and each other. This program can support a variety of educational needs:
Reality Check "About 21% of our students do not have internet access at home. "My students rely on Mobile Beacon's service to carry on their school work after the library closes to do research online, to access school resourses, or even submit assignments. Our community is very rural and there are no free wi-fi options." - School teacher in rural Florida
Check for coverage: Mobile Beacon’s Internet service is provided on Sprint’s 4G LTE network. As Sprint continues to expand its 4G LTE network, you can check your COVERAGE AREA.
Once there, follow the steps below to check current coverage:
1. Enter your address and click “Map It!” as shown in Section A to the left.
2. Click and view the “Data” tab as shown in Section B to the left. Mobile Beacon does not offer phones (Voice).
3. You will see a pop-up that says, “Coverage depends on your device.” Important: In the Search Field type in "R850" (no spaces) and select the R850 Mobile Hotspot. You will then see whether this service is in your coverage area.
4. LTE coverage will be designated as “Enhanced LTE” or “4G LTE” (Section C).
About the donated mobile hotspot device
The Franklin Wireless R850 is a portable, wireless hotspot for connecting up to 10 Wi-Fi-enabled computers or electronic devices to Mobile Beacon's Internet service. It also has up to a 10 hour battery life. It's an ideal companion to stay connected during field trips, sporting events, and other off-campus activities. See its specification sheet by clicking on the Resources Tab and then Research link for more details.
A one-time $60 administrative fee applies on checkout*:
Additional Devices Available at Standard Rates
Organizations may apply for Mobile Beacon's donation once during the same fiscal year (July 1 - June 30) and receive up to 11 hotspots with subscriptions. If you need devices beyond what is included through Mobile Beacon's device donation programs, additional 4G LTE devices can be purchased from Mobile Beacon at standard rates. There is no limit to the number of devices you can request, and Mobile Beacon provides free consultation to help organizations determine the best devices for their needs.
More great education benefits of using 4G LTE mobile broadband:
More about the Mobile Beacon donation and service program
One-Year Prepaid Service Agreement Required
Educators that participate in this offer must agree to pay Mobile Beacon in advance for one year of 4G LTE mobile broadband Internet service for each device received. The current education & nonprofit pricing for this service is $120 for 12 months ($10 per month, paid annually in advance). Digital Wish is not a party to this agreement. Refunds for the service must be requested directly from Mobile Beacon within 30 days of receiving it. See Mobile Beacon's terms of service.
Mobile Beacon Internet Service
The 4G LTE wireless broadband service offered by Mobile Beacon uses the Sprint network . Its download speeds average 6 to 8 megabits per second with peak speeds up to 25 megabits.
Organizations must confirm that the location where they will use the Mobile Beacon service falls within the Mobile Beacon 4G LTE coverage area before requesting this offer. Verify coverage now. (See instructions in the Check for Coverage section above).
The administrative fee for this product is not refundable, and the product cannot be returned unless defective.
Obtaining This Product
A one-time $60 administrative fee will be applied at checkout.* You will need to activate the $120 annual 4G LTE plan with Mobile Beacon for the donated devices you'll receive. Digital Wish will email you subscription codes and instructions. A school, organization or personal credit card is required to process your subscription service with Mobile Beacon. The hotspot modems will be activated and shipped to your school address. You will renew Internet service directly through Mobile Beacon. If you find that you need more mobile hotspots after the first year, you can return to Digital Wish and request more Mobile Beacon products.
Additional Program Rules
Organization email addresses required - All accounts require that email addresses must be affilated with the school, not a personal email address.
Case study: Recipient organizations must be willing and able to provide information to Mobile Beacon for the purposes of creating a case study or testimonial on this program.
Product distribution: Products will be distributed under this program to qualifying schools and educators only. Recipient organizations may not transfer or resell Mobile Beacon products.
Frequently Asked Questions
1.What educators qualify for this program? Educators employeed by Public and Private Non-Profit PreK-12 and higher education organizations qualify for this program. Other educationally based non-profit organizations may also qualify. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance.
2. I’m a teacher that does a lot of lesson plan creation and research at home. Can I use the device away from school? Absolutely! it's the intent of the Mobile Beacon program to make teaching and learning available anytime, anywhere.
3. Do we need to order the device through our school administration? No, you can order service with personal credit cards, but you must be an employee of a school and you must use your official school email address to be eligible.
4.Some of our students don't have internet at home. Can we get the devices for their home use? We believe Internet equity for students is very important. A key benefit of this program is to help in giving all students equal access to the Internet for their schoolwork. While families cannot order service and get donated hotspots directly through this program, we have worked with school districts to set up Mobile Beacon programs to bridge the digital divide. Some districts appy for quantity extensions to get a lending pool of mobile hotspots for students to use for working on assignments at home. Other districts have set up service payment plans for families needing the devices for their children. Schools purchase the service and get reimbursed from families. Contact email@example.com to get assistance with setting up the best program for your district.
5. Is the service plan linked to the mobile device? Yes, the device is linked to the plan. This is a great bonus, because the hotspot devices can connect up to 10 wireless devices that will share the access point. For example, if you're on a field trip with students, you can bring along three of the hotspots and have up to 30 students accessing the web at one time.
6. If ordering several devices, can I just order one service plan now to make sure it works for us? Yes, you can order one plan now and activate the others at any time within the fiscal period (ending on June 30th). You can cancel your subscription within the first 60 days after activation if the service does not meet your needs. Important: Keep the original modem box packaging and all accessories. Sprint will not accept a return of the device unless it is complete in original packaging!
7. Do I need to order by June 30th? You can order at any time. We allow up to 11 devices/school per fiscal year which ends on June 30th. If you order your annual limit of 11 before June 30th, 2016, then you can get another 11 devices after July 1, 2016. If your school exceeds the limit and more teachers need devices, you may apply for an quantity extension. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org to apply.
8, How many wireless phones, iPads, tablets, etc. can I connect to a Mobile Beacon device? Hotspots provide access for up to 10 wireless phones, tablets, etc.
9.Will the annual service cost increase after my first year? Mobile Beacon strives to keep the rate at $10/month and has done so over the past 5 years. The unlimited monthly data plan with Sprint will be in place for the next 21 years, so costs will continue to be deeply discounted.
10.What happens when my hotspot modem is broken, lost or stolen?If your modem fails because of a defect, it is covered by a one year manufacturer's warranty. If you break , lose it or it's stolen, you will need to purchase a new modem from Mobile Beacon directly at $70/unit. Your old subscription will be deactivated from the old device and ported to your new one. Important: Record the two ID numbers on the back of the modem and keep it in a safe place. You will need these numbers when contacting Mobile Beacon about issues with the devices.
11. Are the devices CIPA compliant? Sprint offers a free content filtering tool at their support site here:
Additionally, we recommend schools who are loaning out devices to have students/parents be given cyber security/ cyber bullying materials from their district and also have them read / sign the district's Acceptable Use Policy.
About Mobile Beacon
Mobile Beacon is on a mission is to make affordable 4G LTE mobile, high-speed Internet service available to schools and nonprofits, so they can use this technology to better carry out their missions.
Mobile Beacon was created by a 501(c)3 nonprofit organization with over 20 years of experience serving the educational community. Today, the nonprofit is one of the largest national educational broadband service providers in the United States, operating in more than 50 markets.
Through an agreement with Sprint, a leading provider of high-speed, wireless broadband services across the U.S., Mobile Beacon is able to provide high-speed data services and Internet access for all qualified organizations in the nonprofit and educational sectors.
'Our nonprofit roots make us well-suited to understand and respond to the needs of other nonprofit organizations. We're proud to continue our long-standing history of helping educational organizations by offering technology assistance grants for high-speed Internet access. We're also pleased to be able to offer the same technology assistance to other nonprofit organizations, including government entities and social welfare agencies." Katherine Messier, Founder and Managing Director, Mobile Beacon
For more information, visit www.mobilebeacon.org.
* The administrative fee helps to support our work in serving K-12 educators in the US. This helps cover our costs for credit card transaction charges, delivery of products to schools, customer support and verification services, staffing and overhead.
Minimum system requirements: For all 4G devices — activated Mobile Beacon 4G mobile broadband Internet service is required (not included)
Franklin R850 hotspot modem product specifications:
Supported WiFi-Enabled Devices:
Supported Web Browsers:
• Microsoft Internet Explorer
(8.0 or later)
• Mozilla Firefox® (3.1 or later)
• Safari (5.0 or later)
• Google Chrome® (36.0 or later)
Supported Operating Systems:
• Windows 7, 8, 10
• Mac OS 10.5 or later
• Android 2.1 or later
• WPA2-PSK, WPA-PSK/WPA2-PSK
• Up to 10 hours of continuous use
• R850 Mobile Hotspot
• Rechargeable battery
• Micro-USB charger
• “Get Started” Guide, English/Spanish
• 3.46" (W) x 2.62" (H) x 0.47" (D)
• 3.5 ounces